On November 5th, 1605, Guy Fawkes was arrested with 36 barrels of gunpowder meant to destroy the House of Lords in London.
Today in many parts of the Commonwealth people celebrate the failure of the plot with the burning of a Fawkes-like effigy.
Below are 4 books featured at Project Gutenberg to help you remember (or learn) about the plot that nearly toppled a government, plus an additional reminder about upcoming election day!
1. Guy Fawkes; or, A Complete History of the Gunpowder Treason by Thomas Lathbury
2. The 5th of November by Charles Bentley and Kimball Scribner
3. The Gunpowder Plot and Lord Mounteagle’s Letter by Henry Hawkes Spink Jr.
4. The Gunpowder Treason: An Historical Romance by William Harrison Ainsworth
5. History of Woman Suffrage by Anthony, Gage, and Stanton
This last one is to remind you of your civic duty. These days we don’t transfer power through violent acts, so REMEMBER REMEMBER to VOTE this November!