Re: Display of photographs

Divack, Alan wrote:

> I have been asked to authorize the display of some oversize photographs. The
> items would be displayed in an area with no direct sunlight, but in which
> florescent lamps are on much of the time.

Alan is quite right that display of photographs in uncontrolled lighting
situations is not generally a good idea.  From the information given in his
posting the photographs would be exposed to both ultra violet radiation (from
the florescent lights and possibly some from the windows even iu it is
indirect), but also visible light from the florescents.

Alan does not indicate what type of photographs are involved (whether colour,
black and white or what process) or how long they would be on display . None-
the- less all photogrpahic materials will suffer some degree of  photochemical
damage when exposed to high light levels.   The higher the light level and the
longer the exposure the more damage.   Damage from exposure to light is
cumulative and irreversable.  For exhibition of photographs the current
recommended levels are 50 lux maximum and no ultraviolet or at maximum only 75
micro watts per lumen of U.V.

While I appreciate that the cost of good quality reproductions can be expensive
, that cost should be balanced against the risk of damge to the originals.  As
an alternative to making photographic reproductions perhaps you could
investigate the cost of some other form of reproduction such as photocopying.
Very good facsimiles can now be made by colour photocopiers, laser printers,
etc. and usually at a cheaper cost than photographic copies.

Iona McCraith
Preservation Consultant
Archives Association of Ontario