Re: 16" LPs (Friday Musings)

Roy, don't feel bad.  LP's (like the South), will rise again.  I have a
Clarinette 115 combination turntable, duo cassette and AM/FM that I bought 17-19
years ago and it still works fine.  I get some strange looks from the callow
kids who now staff Radio Shack stores, but generally can still get needles
(after they spend six months looking through catalogues) and there's a stereo
guy in the area who can fix a rainy day.

I prefer the LP's because: 1)  As Nicholas Cage said in the Flick "The Rock",
they sound better and 2)  Some of these records are 60 years or more old and
still sound great, while I doubt if cassettes will last that long and nobody is
sure about compact disks (the archival interest) and 3) I doubt if I can find on
CD the 1942 version of the "Student Price", sung by Jan Peerce and Norma Peters
(but I found the LP after a non-computer 20 year search).

The old ways are the best.  Then again, I don't own a microwave, electric can
opener, or a computer, I wear a 65 year old coat that belonged to my
grandfather, and the only station I get on television is PBS, which I generally
don't care for.

Ah, the simple life! Forgive my digressions - it's Friday.

Art "An archivist briefly emerging from his cave" Dostie