Re: Access Database Question

I think your best option is to export the database into a text file, then
use successive search replace commands to replace

"00." with "2000."
"99." with "1999."
"98." with "1998."

and so forth. Before you import it back into Access, make sure your # of
characters is adjusted to accommodate the extra digits you will now have.

Good luck.
Chuck

At 07:17 PM 01/21/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>We have an Access database for our collection & are experiencing
>problems w/ sorting. We number our accessions by year then number of
>each collection. So one collection accessioned in Dec. 99 would read
>99.0635, the next 99.0636 and so on. This month we've started with 2000
>as 00.0001, 00.0002 and so on. But when we tell Access to place into
>order 00.0001 is at the top and all the ones from previous years
>underneath, so our screen or printout reads all the accessions arriving
>this year, then all the previous years, rather than this year at the
>bottom. We haven't been able to figure how to write this so it will sort
>with year 2000 accessions at bottom, as this is a text file and 00.
>reads smaller than 99. Any suggestions?
>--
>Joan E. Denman
>Archival Assistant
>Institute on World War II
>& the Human Experience
>Department of History
>Florida State University
>Tallahassee, FL 32306-2200
>silver2@tdo.infi.net
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Question to Elvis: "What kind of girls do you prefer?"

Elvis: "Female mostly."

  --From THE QUOTABLE KING
    (Nashville: Cumberland House, 1997)

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
 - A proverb mentioned by St. Bernard in his SERMO PRIMUS

Charles F. Thomas
Special Collections/Archives Technical Services Librarian
Univ. of Minnesota Libraries
612-625-3036
thoma134@tc.umn.edu