book accessioning policies for archives repositories

        As the Archives Librarian at a historical society, one of my duties is
cataloging.
Our current policy states that all items that become a part of our
collections must first be accessioned.  This includes books, which are
bibliographic, most of the time replaceable and except for rare books, not
archival.  I am working up a proposal to change this policy for books, in
that the shelflist contains donor  and/or purchase information, making this
procedure somewhat redundant.
        My supervisor has agreed to approach administration about this if we can
find other libraries, especially in historical societies and museums such as
ours that do not accession books but do catalog them.
        Could you inform me of your policy on cataloging/accessioning books?
Please reply directly to me and I will post a summary of the results on the
list.  I am most grateful.

        Randy Smith
        Eastern Wash. State Historical Society
        Spokane, Washington