Re: archives budget

Matt
First look carefully through the various catalogs and see how far $500 will
go for supplies. Personally I would spend at least half of the money on
reference materials.
These items will never go out of date. They will be come well-worn,
well-marked and generally well-used. Pick up material on how to handle
photographs and documents, books on preservation (I think the Northeast
Conservation Center has just published a new volume -- check the archives).
This will be money well spent.

Use the rest of the money to purchase specialized equipment which is harder
to justify later on. A light table to view negatives and transparencies,
magnifying lens, especially the one that combines a light and lens on a swing
arm, various hand tools, etc.

Well at least that is my Christmas wishlist

Good luck

Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com