Dating Photos

Greetings;

I've been looking at photos for a long time but am new to establishing
reasonable approximate dates for them.  Our collections focus on the US
garment industry and photos extend from the late 1890's through the
present.  I've been trying to find "chronologies" of clothing, lighting,
sewing machines, irons, cars and other technological innovations which
might provide clues especially for the early material.

I've used collectors' sites on the web with some limited success but need
more systematically arranged and documented evidence to work with.  What
reference tools do you recommend for establishing time frame?

Thanks for your assistance.

Barbara Morley, Media Curator
Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives
Martin P. Catherwood Library
School of Industrial and Labor Relations
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY  14853-3901
Phone: 607-255-3183
Fax: 607.255.9641
http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/library/kheel/