From: Kurilecz, Peter [mailto:peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 6:18 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Where are jobs advertised?

> Peter's advice is VERY sound...tho' I would add that when I
> was over on the
> "dark side"...8-)...we used to say you needed to do your
> monologue in 30
> seconds!

Two minutes is just a standard. You must be able to condense according to
the situation. timing is everything.

continuing on with my ideas...I once received some excellent advice from a
job counselor with the Texas Employment Commission. when a position lists a
number of requirements determine how many of them you meet or exceed. When
being interviewed focus on the requirements that you have, try to deflect
the interviewers questions about the items you lack. Any many cases you may
meet or exceed 7 or more of the requirements (if you use a ten item scale).
Read between the lines when reading a position announcement. Ask why they
would want someone who can lift 40 lbs.

I agree with the sentiment that the descriptions for many positions are
pie-in-the-sky, but usually they are written by human resources personnel
not by the person who formerly filled the position.

finally so you really want a position as a corporate archivist? how do you
get one? Look for an organization that either has a formal corporate
archives in place OR look for a company that has a records management
program in place. If you do not know how a company works apply to a company
with a records management program.

WHY?
1. you will be on the inside, better than being on the outside looking in
2. you will learn how a business works, how information/records are used in
the business
Remember the cardinal rules of archives are respet de fonds and provenance
-- original order and where did it come from.
3. you can apply your archivist training and skills immediately -- writing,
analysis, etc. not particularly worried about off-gassing though, mold,
insects, dirt etc are more our concerns at this time.
4. you can promote from within. What's the old term --- becoming a Fifth
columnist! (if you have to ask then I don't believe that you have truly had
a training as a historian)

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia