Cooperation

Dear All,

       Another graduate student here in tow.  Am now planning my research topic
and looking for feedback and/or guides to other resources.  My aim is to
explore the kinds of relationships that exist among historical societies,
academic libraries, and archives.  I myself work a newly established
archives in a public library.  We have done a lot of outreach, dinners,
advertising, etc. to communicate with people interested, or affiliated with
any sort of organization interested in local history and/or contributing to.
 We are having a very hard time getting cooperation from the other "main"
establishments in our area who do this sort of thing, too.  It's almost like
a monopoly - to the point of concious ignorance.  Does anyone have any ideas
about these kinds of difficulties, ways to set "boundaries" on who collects
what in a friendly manner?  Any opinions on why or why not cooperation is
feasable would be appreciated.  Also if there is another kind of listserv I
should be discussing this on, please enlighten me.  If these sort of issues
are a no-no on this listserv, forgive the green archivists still budding in
hope to bloom.  Thanks.

If you wish to respond more privately - please write to itgrrl@hotmail.com