Re: video storage containers

Both ANSI and SMPTE recommendations include having tapes stored on edge -
similar to that of a book. You can store them on any edge (there are 4) but
NOT flat laying down on the side.  I have never read anywhere that longevity
is "enhanced" by this, but rather that storing tapes laying flat is
definitely not recommended and can severely damage the tape. The logic?
there are several aspects to it- and as a company that sees all sorts of old
and damaged tapes I can tell you that edge damage can and does occur, and
when it does occur it can lead to catastrophic problems (i.e. make it very
difficult to play back).

 Basically the concern is the tape "pack" - specifically pack stress and
damage that can occur if there are popped strands (or individual wind layers
in the tape that are raised above the other layers). When stored flat, the
cassette may have pressure from other tapes that are laid on top of it, that
can cause a distortion of the plastic which transmits the weight directly to
the tape pack. Cassettes are not designed to hold the weight on the flat
surface - SO what happens is that popped strands and the pack can be exposed
to stress which can severely damage the tape. When stored on the edge, the
weight is not distributed to the pack, but is distributed in the heavier
plastic edges in the cassette shell. Even if the tapes do not have
additional weight on top of them, over time gravity will do its job.  So
that is the reason behind it. As a practical matter there are other reasons
too. For disaster prevention reasons you would prefer to have a tape on edge
because the protection is better in case of water. The water will tend to
drip off as opposed to pooling on a large surface area.

So there are many reasons.  Now as far as increasing longevity - that is
another question entirely. And while on that subject - archival containers
such as the ones you are storing them in are of no real benefit. Remember
that the tape is housed inside a plastic shell which in turn is hopefully in
a relatively inert library container - the outside acid free box is
fine -but do not think that this is really going to do anything to
longevity... and these containers are very expensive. Maybe the solution to
the problem is to remove them from the storage box and put them directly on
the shelf - this is the way they are stored in most large collections. If
there is any out gassing it can escape to the general environment in the
room. Temperature and humidity control are a must.

jim

jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com