Any "watermark" technology available

My colleagues are in the course of examining the possibility of digitizing
some selected archival holdings (including photos, maps, audio/video clips)
and putting them on Internet. One major concern expressed among our
colleagues is how to make sure the materials can bear copyright and
acknowledgement statement and the user cannot delete/modify the statement
after downloading from our web site. I wonder if anyone out there can
advise me on this or direct me to the right place. Many thanks.

Regards,

Wai-kwok WAN
Public Records Office of HK

3/F., HK Public Records Building