Re: Time Capsules

I would have to wonder if the biggest reason that things were wet and mildewed had to do with the "sneak preview" that broke the original seals and than the thing was "reburied" in the moist warm dark earth.  I think i would forgo the preview  and just live with what you find.  Be prepared with cotton gloves and speciman trays that objects can be layed in so that the tray can be handled and not the object.  I have never personally experienced this but have heard of the experiences of others and most generally they are somewhat disappointing.  I would think having no idea what was in the capsule would be more exciting than opening it and knowing exactly what you were going to find.  At that point it would only be of interest to see how much deterioration had taken place.

At the same time its a great opportunity to promote the archives and educate the public about proper preservations methods.  In my eyes any event where you can tell the public that scotch tape and lamination are only good gift wrapping and your drivers license respectively is a good thing.

Rob Dishon
Archivist
LaGuardia and Wagner Archives