Re: use statistics

Hi Shelly,

Glad to see you've found gainful employment after SLIS.

Since we hold classified material in Operational Archives, some of our
procedures are a little different, but may be of interest.  We ask all of
our users to fill out an information card, which collects all of the
standard information--name, address, institutional affiliation (if any), and
the subject of their research.  They're also asked to sign a page listing
our rules for researchers, the back of which is used to list the materials
that have been pulled for them.  We do distinguish between "official"
researchers, those that work for the Navy or the federal government, and
"unofficial" researchers (pretty much everyone else).  We also specifically
identify use by historians  from other branches of the Center, and keep
track of the security clearance (confidential, secret, top secret, or none)
of everyone who comes in.

In addition to the forms, we have a sign-in log.  This is for anyone who
comes onto the floor, no matter what they're coming in for.  We do this for
security purposes; we have to be able to construct a list of everyone that
was on the floor on any given day.  It's useful for other reasons, though.
We spend a lot of time keeping an eye on the cleaning crew and the public
works people, and the log gives us a way to quantify why we've done nothing
but escort for the last 3 hours.

Best of luck with the new job!

Wade

Wade Wyckoff