Re: .PDF

Neil,
The Minnesota State Archives presents several of its documents in a PDF
format.  A PDF allows you to preserve style and format elements, as well as
charts that may accompany reports.  Should a user print out a PDF, it'll
look like a word document, as opposed to a web page.  A PDF is an easy way
to provide access to long reports, or meeting minutes that are continually
added to the web.  When saving a document as a PDF, you have the option of
using PDF Writer or Distiller.  Distiller allows you to convert more complex
documents (for example, using graphics or images), as well as compressing
them.  Compressing saves the document at less KB than PDF Writer, which is
important when considering download time of the document.

Jennifer Johnson
Government Records Assistant
Minnesota State Archives