Briggs & Stratton Corporation
PO Box 702
Milwaukee, WI  53201-0702

>>> daniel_sokolow@MCGRAW-HILL.COM 06/20/00 03:37PM >>>
From: Daniel Sokolow@MCGRAW-HILL on 06/20/2000 04:37 PM

To:   archives@listserv.muohio.edu
cc:
Subject:  Jobs

Not to complain, or to start another of those enormous arguments, but is there
any reason why out of the 7 or 8 jobs to get posted today, only 3 actually
listed a salary or a salary range?

I'm not expecting anyone to list to the dollar (necessarily), but I think it's
kind of unfair of employers to send these postings out without giving some idea
of what the salary might be.  I'm not looking for another job right now, but I
do like to keep track of what the pay scale is; how am I supposed to know if
it's worth my time to think about a position, and perhaps the idea of
relocating, if no one wants to list what a job pays?

I have to assume that anybody posting a job to the list has an idea what they
have available to pay someone - people do have to make out budgets, don't they?
I can't imagine that it's a big secret, on the hopes that somebody will come in
and ask for a lower salary so the organization will save a few bucks ("Phew!  he
guessed wrong, so we get to pay him $5,000 less!").  It seems like it's only
fair that employees should know what the position is worth before sending in a
resume; employers are laying out the conditions for employment very clearly (3rd
degree black belt, able to lift 500 lbs., ability to read ancient Sanskrit a
_must_) - why should they be so cagey about reporting the salary range.

Oops.  I guess I did want to complain.

Daniel

Daniel Sokolow
Corporate Archivist