Re: compact disc longevity

<It seems that over the past decade the life expectency of a
CD has ranged from 8 years to over 300 years.  Therefore, I would like to
ask for your current understanding of the issue and in particular, what
source or sources lead you to this understanding?>

Dear Anna,

There was a session which addressed this issue (Accelerated Life Expectancy
Estimation of Data Storage Media; How Long Will It Last, And How Do you
Know?), at AIC in Philadelphia earlier this month. I did not attend the
session, but asked the same question of a scientist I know who did attend. As
I recall, he said the high quality CDs will generally last between 8 and 13
years before they accumulate 250 errors, and which time they will no longer
function. You should be able to buy the Preprints from AIC in Washington,
D.C., and perhaps contact Sarah Howard and William Murray, the people who
presented this information there. They are with Medtronic, Inc. in
Minneapolis, MN.

Bill Hollinger
Conservation Resources
Springfield, VA