From: Sue Kriegsman [mailto:skriegsm@COALLIANCE.ORG]
Sent: 12 July, 2000 1:58 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Motels in Denver?

The Royal Host Motel on E. Colfax in Denver is not a place I would recommend
anyone stay.  Although it is a only a brief bus ride away from the Adam's
Mark
(bus route #15) it is not a very good area of town at night.  And actually
not
it's not that great during the day either.  The bus route #15 is also one of
the
more sketchy routes around town although I do take it and have lived to tell
the
tale, as have many others.

You can see a glimpse of the motel from this 1960s image from the Denver
Public
Library.  The Royal Host Motel is at the left side of the image:

http://gowest.coalliance.org/cgi-bin/imager?00500022

The Broadway Plaza at 1111 Broadway is in walking distance of the Adam's
Mark
(about 5-10 minutes) and about 2 blocks from the Denver Public Library and
the
Colorado Historical Society.  I'm not familiar with the hotel itself but the
neighborhood is much more reasonable than the E. Colfax area.  If you look
at a
map of the area you'll see that the Broadway Plaza is on far side of the
Civic
Center park from the Adam's Mark.  The park is beautiful during the day, the
grounds keeper (Ray) is very friendly to all who pass through, but it's not
place to go through at night.

Good luck, choose carefully, and feel free to ask more questions about the
Denver area.

Sue Kriegsman

Marsha Maguire wrote:

> I did a search on the Internet and found that there are a couple of
> relatively inexpensive places to stay within a mile of the Adam's Mark.
> Does anyone know anything about the Royal Host Motel on E. Colfax or the
> Broadway Plaza on Broadway?  Both these places are less than a mile from
the
> conference hotel and the cost seems to range from $35-$45/night for a
> single.  But this is downtown, and $35 is pretty cheap for a downtown
area,
> so I'm wondering if these places are OK or flea-infested dives?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marsha Maguire
> mmaguire@u.washington.edu

Sue Kriegsman