RAIN 07/25: "Paperless police officer"

 or Can CDs replace microfilm as a preservation tool (see the Arkansas
Democrat Gazette)
all urls work

Austin American Statesman 7/24/00
City utility hoping to shield its records
http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/monday/metro_state_1.html

by Leah Quin
Austin Energy's proposed rules to keep some of the utility's operations and
finances confidential will get an airing tonight as a focus group of
activists, businesspeople and members of the city's electric utility
commission reviews the most recent draft.
The city-owned power company is preparing for statewide competition in 2002,
when Texas' electricity industry will be deregulated. Although the City
Council has yet to decide whether Austin Energy will go head to head with
private utilities, company officials say they want to be able to keep such
information as fuel costs and power plant outages confidential -- as private
companies do.

Springfield News-Leader 7/24/00
New records system to aid police work
Grant paves the way for officers to use laptop computers on the job
http://www.springfieldnews-leader.com/news/n072400c.html

by Robert Keyes
Springfield Police Chief Lynn Rowe's vision of a "paperless police officer"
moves forward tonight with the City Council's approval of federal grant
money for a new records management system.
In time, the system will allow computer-toting officers to communicate
silently with emergency dispatchers, type crisper, cleaner reports, and get
background more quickly on those they encounter on the streets.
The result, Rowe said: better service to the public, better safety for
officers.

Syracuse Herald-Journal 7/24/00
Site offers information on doctors' track records
Patients can find out how often physicians, hospitals did certain operations
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf?/newsstories/city/20000724_rnproc.htm

by Melanie Gleaves-Hirsch
New Yorkers facing surgery for everything from breast cancer to arthritic
knees can learn how often their doctors perform operations in a new report
that consumer groups say can help patients choose physicians.
A small medical consumer's group analyzed data from the state Department of
Health to compile the report, which lists how often doctors and hospitals
performed surgical and invasive diagnostic procedures in 1998, the last year
for which statistics were available.
The report, on a Web site produced by the New York City-based Center for
Medical Consumers, lists doctors' and hospitals' volume for 39 procedures.

Newsday 7/24/00
Lautenberg begins to forge legacy with donation of papers to Rutgers
http://www.newsday.com/ap/regional/ap885.htm

by Amy Westfeldt
Associated Press
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg donated his collection
of official papers from his 18-year Senate career to Rutgers University on
Monday.
Lautenberg, D-N.J., has begun to take steps to forge his legacy in New
Jersey as his third Senate term comes to an end this year. He decided to
retire last year after determining he did not have the time or the heart to
raise the funds required to wage a strong re-election campaign.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer 7/24/00
Psychologist says he was misquoted
'I never said I never saw' Doran; the Times stands by its story
http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/cops243.shtml

by Mike Barber
A police psychologist denied yesterday that he told The Seattle Times that
he had never examined Seattle police Officer Tommie Doran after he shot an
intoxicated motorist in 1988.
In a copyrighted front page story on Friday, the Times reported that David
H. Smith, a Bellevue psychologist who evaluates officers involved in police
shootings, said he had not seen Smith and had no files of a 1988 evaluation
Doran was supposed to undergo to determine his fitness for duty. Yesterday,
the newspaper reported that Smith had found the files.
"What I said to the reporter is that I have no independent recollection of
seeing Tommie Doran. I never said I never saw him," Smith said yesterday. He
said he could find no records, not that they did not exist.

Arkansas Democrat Gazette 7/24/00
CDs trace history of Arkansas back to 1803 agreement
http://www.ardemgaz.com/week/Mon/ark/B1purchase24.html

by Linda Caillouet
The spidery script reaches out from the early 1800s across nearly 200 years.
The accompanying map of a section of Monroe County, crudely sketched, snakes
and curls its way from Nov. 5, 1819, to the present -- not on yellowed,
brittle paper, but from the blue-gray glow of Charlie Daniels' office
computer.
Daniels, the state land commissioner, and others in his office recently
completed a project to convert original survey notes and plats begun in 1815
of what would become the state of Arkansas.
Back then, the land was newly acquired by the United States from France in a
$15 million deal closed in 1803 between Napoleon Bonaparte and Robert
Livingston, the U.S. minister of finance, who was acting on behalf of
President Thomas Jefferson.

Grand Forks Herald 6/22/00
UND offering knowledge gained from 1997 flood experience
http://www.gfherald.com/news/docs00/0622/2653EF1.htm

by Mikkel Pates
FARGO -- How do you run a university without a library? Without phones?
North Dakota State University is doing exactly that, but is working to
improve things today, and is learning from lessons at the University of
North Dakota's 1997 flood.
"We have no Internet, no phone," NDSU President Joseph Chapman said. "The
good news is we have cell phone communication."

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia