good point Dean on how to handle list queries

Dean makes some good points about how to answer list queries.  I suspect most
of us handle these things as he does, responding when we have the time and
inclination and just reading or merely deleting query messages when we are
very busy.  I still feel too much time was spent on debating whether the
National Archives held the item in question and whether the History Channel
was right in its assertion that it did.  So many National Archives' employees
subscribe to the list, it seems one of them could have requested and received
permission from the agency to post a response.  Or a public affairs official
could have responded.  I have seen NARA post official answers to issues
discussed on the List in the past.  For an agency that becomes embroiled in
controversies over access policies from time to time, it seems NARA has
missed a public relations/educational opportunity here.  Maarja Krusten
(maarja@aol.com)