Re: Education for Future Reference Archivist

"Alexandria Research"
Where do you live?  There may be some program(s) near you that you may not be
aware of.  On the other hand, there are some excellent distance eduction
programs available over the Internet for archival graduate degrees that might
suppliment the MLS program where you are presently located.

Albin Wagner

Alexandria Research wrote:

> To the reference archivists out there:
>
> I am interested in becoming a reference archivist. I would like to know what
> kind of education you think is necessary for this career. There is an MLS
> program close to where I live, but there is no archives specialization.
> There is no master's in history program in my area. I am considering a move
> to be close to an MLS program with an archives specialization/history
> dual-degree program. This would be a big move out of state. I want the MLS
> one way or another. My BA is in English, not history, I might add.
>
> My question is this: Do you think it is necessary to get the archives
> concentration for reference work in an archives? (Is it necessary for the
> job? Would I be looked over by prospective employers?) I have volunteered at
> an historical society for quite some time and realize that there are a lot
> of arrangement schemes, so I have some limited experience that I could build
> upon for a future job. I would rather stay where I currently live, although
> I am mobile, if need be.
>
> Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Alexandria

begin:          vcard
fn:             Albin Wagner, CA, CRM
n:              Wagner, CA, CRM;Albin
org:            New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management
adr:            2300 Stuyvesant Ave.;;;Trenton;NJ;08618;USA
email;internet: awagner@darm.sos.state.nj.us
title:          Chief, Bureau of Records Management
tel;work:       609-530-3204
tel;fax:        609-530-6121
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE