Re: Midwest Archives Meeting with MARAC in October - does anyone know anything?

As co-chair of the Local Arrangements Committee for the MAC/MARAC meeting
in Cleveland, October 17-21, I'm pleased to answer all the inquiries about
the conference posted to the list.  With the resources of the two largest
archival associations available to it, the Program Committee has prepared
an intriguing array of addresses and sessions ranging across all the topics
that concern us today.  An international perspective will come from Ian
Wilson, the National Archivist of Canada, in his plenary address "Total
Archives: Reflections on the Canadian Experience".  Then, a plenary panel
and breakout sessions will review the topic of whether manuscript curators
and institutional archivists still pursue the same profession, or whether
changes in the nature of records and technology are leading the two groups
on divergent paths.  Another 17 sessions cover the myriad of topics that
engage our curiousity, demand our attention, or bedevil our days.  A full
schedule of educational opportunities are also available, 9 workshops in
all.

The LAC has prepared a range of tours that will unveil the secrets of the
Comeback City, Cleveland.  As John Grabowski will note at the meeting
luncheon, "It's Been A Long time Since the River Burned", and Cleveland
archivists (and their MARAC compatriots) are eager to show you the Top Ten
Reasons That David Letterman Is Wrong About Cleveland.

But rather than re-writing the meeting program in this email, let me invite
you to the LAC Website, http://www.csuohio.edu/CUT/ClevMM/.  Later today
the meeting program, including all the session, workshop, and tour
information but especially the registration form and the hotel
price/reservation form, will be posted for download.  The paper program
will be arriving in the mail, certainly, but here's the scoop for those who
need it!

So, make your plans to boogie on down to the Heart of Rock'n'Roll October
17-21.  Great sessions, great entertainment, and great companions await,
all at a bargain price!  Cleveland Rocks!  Be there or be square!

Michael McCormick
Western Reserve Historical Society
MAC/MARAC LAC Co-Chair