From: Amy McCrory <mccrory.7@POSTBOX.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: newsprint
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:54:53 -0400

What a great list this is!  I've only been subscribed for 10 days, and
already I've read a short essay on the foodways of my new state (I'm a
transplant from Georgia), learned how to use melon rinds for sunscreen, and
seen a terrific photo of a pioneer kitchen disaster.  Not to mention
learning which beers, wines, and liquors go with which foods.

I am wondering if anyone can refer me to technical articles or other good
information on the preservation and storage of newsprint.  I am processing
a large collection consisting of newspapers, clippings, and tear
sheets--mostly clippings and tear sheets--dating from the late 19th century
to the mid-1990s.  I searched this list's Web-based archive, and found some
postings on this subject from about 3 years back, but no references to
articles or case studies.

At present, I am primarily interested in methods of storage, not
deacidification treatment.  I already have some ideas about how to house
the items, but I would be really interested in hearing from others about
what you have read or done.

Amy McCrory
Project Archivist
Cartoon Research Library