Re: Progressive vs Conservative Party

The juxtaposition of the terms "Progressive" and "Conservative" and "Party"
in relation to this non-thread reminds me of  the startling electoral
successes of the Progressive Party (in the West) in 1921, which  served as a
wake-up call to the then-powerful Conservative Party. Subsequently the two -
one a prairie farmer protest movement and the other an old-line eastern "Old
Boys Network" party, joined forces to contest elections for the rest of the
20th century as the "Progressive Conservative" Party, abbreviated
(naturally) to PC, which after a few years was widely viewed as just another
old-line eastern "Old Boy's Network" party.

Since then history has more-or-less repeated itself with the creation of the
"Reform" Party in the West, which after a number of years trying to get
anywhere east of Manitoba has now merged with elements of the PC party to
form the "Alliance".

I think the upshot of this is that most progressive archivists in Canada
will be partying more this year and probably we'll end up with a Bloc
Quebecois majority.

Jeff "It's Still Monday, Isn't It?" O'Brien