Re: archives mystery needed

HI Amy

This sounds like a good bit of fun.  What about theft from an archival
collection - one of my collegues was offered a document a few years ago for
$10,000, but told the dealer in question that he already had several thousand
examples of this type of document, so there are some docs which have a
certain value.  Remember the fellow who was stealing Lincoln docs from
Illinois archives and selling  them, or all of the recent thefts of baseball
memorabilia - ie wills signed by Shoeless Joe et al.  Alternatively, you
could have someone find something in an archive which leads to greater
treasure - don't forget that most of the treasure hunters who seek SDpanish
galleons start their search in an archives.  We have many rare and valuable
items, and the solutions to many old secrets hidden in our collections so
surely you can put together something of a story.  For example, a few years
ago a couple came in and wanted some files destroyed because they revealed
that the woman's father had died in prison while there for murder, and they
did not want thier grandchildren to find out.  Maybe you could do somethingf
with that.

Daniel German
ATIP Analyst
National Archives of Canada
(613) 996-3125
dgerman@archives.ca

NB  The above comments and opinions are the author's own and do not refelect
those of his employers.
---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Amy Marcus" <AMarcus122@AOL.COM>, on 2000-09-12 1:59 PM:

Greetings...

This probably happens to every archivist who fancies himself/herself a
writer, but I'm writing an archives mystery.  I know it's been done before,
but in my daydreams I'm the Margaret Truman of the archives mystery genre.

I've managed to hit a snag, however, right at the beginning:  I need a
crime!  I've subscribed to the museum security network to see if I can get
any ideas of items which have ALREADY been stolen from archives...I'm
floundering here.  Are there any other sites which would give me some ideas
(this is making me sound like a would-be criminal, sorry!)

Thanks everyone!
Amy