Re: On-line auctions

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 13:25:37 -0400 Abby Lester
<alester@JEWISHMUSEUMMD.ORG> writes:

> have hit on the meat of the question yet. What are the ethical
> ramifications surrounding selling deaccessioned items in online
> auctions?

Are there any differences between selling online and selling through
other means (traditional auctions, directly to antique dealers, etc.?)  I
agree that there generally should be established policies for
deaccessioning materials, but as long as your policies allow for selling
items, does the method matter?

> What type of image do patrons get when they see a museum or
> archives "selling" their collections?

As long as the proper people know about the sale (administrators,
trustees), does the public have to see a museum/archives selling
collections, particularly in an online environment?  At Ebay your id
doesn't have to be OurLocalMuseum, or somesuch.  It doesn't have to draw
attention to who is doing the selling.  You can also delegate the selling
to an employee/volunteer who does it through a personal account.

And I'm assuming we're not talking about one-of-a-kind historical records
here, right?  If you're in a position where you're selling off the heart
of the collection, there are larger problems than _where_ to sell the
items.  Instead, are we looking at things that are not unique... yet
another postcard of Old Main or the umpteenth copy of the
"handsomely-bound volume listing local WWI veterans" (I worked at one
place that had about 6 of those and was still offered more on a regular
basis -- that must have been one heck of a salesman!!)  If that's the
case, and if your policies allow, what's the harm with selling on Ebay or
similar?

All that said, I should clarify that I have not been in a position where
the institution did extensive selling on Ebay (or anywhere else for that
matter -- deaccessioning has been discussed more in terms of something to
be done someday).  But I did sell some items for the local museum when I
worked there -- these were things that had been in the gift shop so long
they had become collectible (local history publications more than 20
years old and old postcards).  I would sell them, subtract my costs, then
the balance went to the museum in the form of a general donation.

I've also purchased a few items on Ebay.  One item I purchased and
donated to the local museum was a photo album showing the construction
and early operation of a local cup plant -- it was a great piece and was
too good to pass up!  It had apparently been part of an estate sold in
California and was being sold by an antique dealer.  Without Ebay it
wouldn't have found its way "home."  But buying collections online is a
different discussion that I believe has been covered on this list before.

I think selling on Ebay is fine, if your policies allow sale of items.
It opens you up to a much broader range of sellers and can be done with a
degree of anonymity.  But know what you're getting into --Take the time
to look through the listings to get a feel for what's selling and for how
much.  Understand the value of feedback ratings.  Know how little you are
willing to take for item and set your starting price accordingly.

AMB

Archivist
Southwest Missouri State University
annebaker@smsu.edu