From: Daniel Sokolow [mailto:DSokolow@NSHS.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 12:16 PM
To: Archives & Archivists
Cc: Dostie, Arthur
Subject: Re: Ignorance of technology (was FF)

Apologies & correction - I had no intention of putting down the young 'uns
(I'm 31, incidentally), or implying that introducing them to these things
was a bad idea (on the contrary, I think it's great); only to respond to a
question about why kids are ignorant of such things as LPs and rotary
phones.

My own introduction to older things came early; my dad has a 78 RPM record
player, probably one of the few left around, and an LP collection in the
high hundreds, if not the thousands.  My grandfather's Steinway baby grand,
now in my Dad's living room, actually had ivory on the keys at one point (it
was made in 1893, before the restrictions on ivory).  My grandma's vacuum
cleaner had runners rather than wheels, and I was shocked to see the machine
sitting in an exhibit cabinet at the Brooklyn Museum several years ago.

Heck, grandpa had epoxy, where you had to mix two different tubes together
to make adhesive - what Krazy Glue? :)

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021