Re: Compact Shelving

Remember to check into the depth of the shelving offered before making golden plans.

We recently had compact shelving made available to us, but found that the shelving was 12" deep, planned for books,not 14" deep storage boxes. We have had to place our storage boxes sideways, double deep in most cases. We will need to label everything on the side (we now label two sides of each new box just for such cases).

It was suggested to us that we let the boxes stick out a few inches, but if you do that for several rows the clearance disappears for the aisles you hope to open.

Of course there is the option of hiring verrrry thin people with long arms - then a 15" aisle might suffice.

Steven Brown
Head, University Archives & Records Management
Hargrett Library
Main Library
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia  30602
sabrown@arches.uga.edu

Archives:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrett/archives/index.html
Records:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/recman/www.html

"I am sorry to hear of the removal of Prof. M.  I wish him well for what he has been, - and for his present merits - but as his principles are contagious, it will be best for him I think to go where they can do no harm as in Georgia he will find Jacobins formed to his hand - and who are past being polluted."

 -  Jedidiah Morse on the departure of Joisah Meigs to assume the presidency of the University of Georgia, 1801.