Re: gender norming translations

Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 15:53:19 -0500 (EST)

Tod M Kennedy wrote:
> A. Brent Hudson wrote ""the righteous _man_ shall live..." is undesirably
> male-oriented."
>
> Please, don't make an issue where there is none. [...]

The point, however, is that this issue _is_ there and always has been;
this wasn't something invented five years ago.

Often ommitted from these discussion are the gender-specific translations
introduced into English translations but not supported by the original.

(Last time --maybe the time before that?-- when this discussion came
around someone posted a list of examples of these mistranslations from the
KJV through the RSV. Unfortunately my copy's on my "other computer" at
the moment, so maybe someone else knows what I mean?)