Re: Phil. 2:12, SWTHRIA KATERGAZOMAI

Stephen C Carlson (scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu)
Sun, 5 May 1996 23:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

David L. Moore wrote:
> I found a Greek copy of Euripides' _Heraclidae_ at the Perseus
>Project web site (really excellently done). In the context, the chorus and
>the characters are talking about a way of assuring the well-being of their
>city, and SWTHRIAN KATERGASASQAI is used in that sense. Whether this usage
>might be of significance in exegesis of a passage of NT Koine' is another
>question. The fairly exact match in the language of this phrase in the two
>sources makes me tend to accept the validity of the comparison despite the
>500 years that separates their writing.

The 500 years of separation may not be such an obstacle if Euripides
was studied as part of the normal Greek education. In the same way,
Shakespeare continues to exert an influence upon English today.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs