Re: 1Corinthians 12:1 & 1Corinthians 14:1

Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Tue, 14 May 1996 05:30:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Alistair O'Connell wrote:

> Hello to all on the list.
>
> Forgive me if this is an 'Oh no, not again!' request :-)
>
> but what does the word Pneumatikos really mean in the refs given as this
> mail subject and,
> why is it translated as two words i.e. spiritual gifts

This is a relatively easy one! ;-) The adjective PNEUMATIKOS,-H, -ON
means "having to do with the spirit," "spiritual," and is here used
substantivally with the article (TWN, TA) so that one must translate,
"things having to do with the spirit," or "spiritual things." This is a
general term which Paul later refers to with the word TA XARISMATA,
"gifts of grace," "grace-gifts," or "gifts of the spirit" and including
the accomplishments such as prophecy, tongue-speaking, etc., some of
which the Corinthians prided themselves on as personal achievements,
although Paul insists that all of them are gifts of grace, all derived
from the Holy Spirit, and therefore NOT to be identified as indications
of status or privilege superior to those of others.

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018