Re: Greek grammars

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Sun, 19 May 1996 17:18:13 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 17:20:22
>To: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church <pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org>
>From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net>
>Subject: Re: Greek grammars
>
>Dear Dr. Dixon:
>
>As far as a elementary grammar I would recommend:
>
>Mounce, William D. _Basics of Biblical Greek._. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1993.
>It has a workbook, teachers packet, and other helpful aids, I can't really
think of anything like it, and I've used (as a student) Davis, Machen,
Summers, Wenham. Mounce is really great for the beginner. I only wish he'ld
written it 15 years earlier.

>Mounce, William D._A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek_. Grand Rapids:
Zondervan, 1996.
>Really helpful for giving you guys a introduction to exegesis
>
>Mounce, William D. _Morphology of Biblical Greek._Grand Rapids: Zondervan,
1995.

>Nice for the help that it give's for explaining why those Grek verbs,
nouns, etc. decine and congugate the way they do.

>As far as a intermediate grammar:
>
>Young, Richard A. _Intermediate New Testament Greek: A Linguistic and
Exegetical Approach._ Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman & Holman, 1994.

>Young has a very helpful approach to Greek that includes basic linguistic
theory.

>Wallace, Daniel B. _Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics._ Grand Rapids:
Zondervan, 1996.

>Wallace's grammar is not yet available but should be when your class
starts. From all I've heard about it, it's going to be one of the best,
although I think it would be hard to beat Young for simplicity (Wallace's
grammar is over 800 pages).

>If I can be of service to you please don't hesitate to contact me
>
>In Christ's Service,

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library