Re: eis aphesin hamartiwn

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Fri, 24 May 96 08:34:49 EDT

Don Partain writes:

> Perhaps the clearest way to demonstrate that EIS APHESIN does indeed mean "in
> order to obtain the forgiveness of sins" is to see its usage in
> Matt.26:28:"for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for
> many for forgiveness of sins (EIS APHESIN)." Did Jesus mean to say that He
> shed His blood in order to forgive our sins--or that He shed His blood
> because our sins were already forgiven? Even so, "let each of you be
> baptized in the name of Jesus Christ EIS APHESIN..." (Acts 2:38).

Allow me to demur and to state reasons.

In English (by way of analogy), the "meaning" of a preposition is
determined not only by the object of the preposition but also by what
the prepositional phrase hangs off of. Consider, for example, the
phrase "for the Patriots" (New England football team):

Robert Kraft paid X million dollars for (in exchange for) the
Patriots.

Tony Eason played quarterback for (on behalf of or under the direction
of) the Patriots.

My family cheers for (in favor of) the Patriots.

With this in mind I have collected below most (I think) of the NT
references that combine BAPTIZW with EIS. I would make the following
observations:

-- In each case (except _possibly_ Acts 2.38) the object of EIS is in
existence before the act of BAPTIZW.

-- Except for Mark 1.9, the medium of baptism (whether water, spirit,
fire, cloud, or sea) is related to BAPTIZW by EN or by the unadorned
dative rather than by EIS (although I haven't listed all those