Re: Greek Etymology

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 25 May 1996 12:10:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Sir:

Etymology is not a good way to learn the meaning of Greek words. What a word
means in context is far more important. For example, if I say the English word
"hose" without any context, you would be unsure whether I meant "stockings"
water hose, garden hose. The same in any language, especially Greek. Context
is the primary determiner of what a word means. For example in English
"cute" now means attractive but it originally meant "bowlegged" so my
girlfriend would not appreciate if we investigated what the etymology of the
word "cute"

At 12:53 AM 5/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I am a student of scripture but have no formal education in
>Greek, however, I've found the real value of studying comes
>only when I dig in to the Greek and Hebrew via Strong's
>Concordance. I am not adept at learning languages in fact
>I'm pathetic.
>
>I've only been a b-greek subscriber for a few days but I've
>gleaned quite a bit from the discussions. My question for
>someone who is familiar with Greek and the Internet is:
>
>Is there a site which I can visit where I can find the etymology
>of particular Greek words?
>
>Or perhaps there is some software somewhere that would
>give me what I want?
>
>Failing that, what would be a good book on the subject?
>
>I would appreciate any help someone may offer.
>
>By the way, I've been studying eschatology and the more
>I dig, the more confirmed I become in my prewrath rapture
>position. Is there a Greek scholar among the subscribers that
>maintains the same position? If not, then would a pre-tribber
>among you be willing to answer some questions?
>
>Thanks.

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library