Re: opinion

Tue, 28 May 1996 09:26:57 -0500

At 11:04 PM -0500 5/27/96, LNJVO@cc.newcastle.edu.au wrote:
> ............................................................... My view
> is that if we really want to get in-depth into Scripture, an in-depth
> knowledge of Greek as a language is necessary. I'm not so sure of
> the value of studying Greek to merely use it as a tool, for I've seen
> that such an approach can easily lead to some wrong conclusions. For
> my part I'm working on a PhD thesis in the area of the Greek subjunc-
> tive--to say the least, it's quite a challenge. I've already come
> across some things I've not yet found in any grammar or syntax book, or
> any extant article. It's exciting. At the same time I find some of
> the b-greek discussions worth reading and thinking about--and as I have
> the opportunity I share them with others, Greek students in particular.

John, welcome aboard. As you may have noticed, I very much share your view
about the worth of broad knowledge of Greek. You've roused my curiosity
about your project on the Greek subjunctive; could you share with us a
little of what, precisely, you may be working on and whether it is
fundamentally concerned with the historical Greek language from Homer
onward or with Hellenistic/NT Greek? One thing that I personally am
fascinated by is the multiplication of functional usages of hINA +
subjunctive clause in the Hellenistic period and afterwards. What IS it
that you're exploring? (if you don't mind sharing something that may still
be in preliminary stages, that is)

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018