Re: baptism and forgiveness with EIS--Acts 2:38 context

Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Wed, 29 May 1996 17:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

Marion:
You have committed a grave logical error indeed. You have
confused the conjunctive table for the conditional table. Though the
statement "If A and B, then C" is conjunctive in the protasis, the whole
statement is a conditional. To infer the negation of that conditional
(If not A and B, then not C) is erroneous logic. A conditional does not
imply its negation.
Acts 2:38 takes the form of "If A and B, then C." To infer "if
not A and B, then not C" or "if A and not B, then not C" (which is
usually done by advocates of required baptism for salvation) is commit
major logical error. They do the same in Mark 16:16.

Dr. Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Ladd Hill Bible Church
Wilsonville, Oregon