Re: Paul's Pidgin Greek?

Philip L. Graber (
Thu, 30 May 1996 18:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Shaughn Daniel wrote:

> Would someone refer me to any modern discussions of the issue of Paul's
> Greek in relation to his Hellenistic contemporaries, please. I'm wondering
> if anyone has considered Paul's written Greek as a pidgin language of
> sorts. I think it is a new understanding of the old linguistic issues of
> semiticisms.

There are clearly issues related to language use in a multilingual
society, but the issue is not pidginization. A pidgin language is
something quite different from what we have in the New Testament. I
would be very surprised if you found any literature suggesting otherwise.

Philip Graber Graduate Division of Religion
Graduate Student in New Testament 211 Bishops Hall, Emory University Atlanta, GA 30322 USA