Have you ever _used_ Greek pronunciation

Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 14:48:00 -0400

At 7:23 PM 8/2/96, Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Dear B-Greek Listers:
> [...]

I'll start by conceeding that this is rather off topic, but, hey, it's
August and most people are on vacation, right? ;-)

Anyway, what I was wondering is has anyone ever had an opportunity of
communicating with a stranger --i.e. not a colleague or a student or
teacher-- through Koine/NT Greek?

The recent thread over NT Greek pronunciation has brought to mind a long
time fantasy: I find myself in an airport or on a ship next to a stranger.
After a few attempts at conversation we finally establish that we share no
common language (that is, he speaks 14 languages fluently --I speak only
English). However we then realize that we both have a reasonable working
knowledge of NT Greek and so are able to pass a pleasant --albeit
stumbling-- half-hour in conversation ("So, how old is your daughter?") in
NT Greek.

Has anything of this sort every happened to anyone here?

Nichael
nichael@sover.net __
http://www.sover.net/~nichael Be as passersby -- IC