Re: 2 Thess. 6-7

David L. Moore (
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:07:55 -0400

David Wilens wrote:
> To all,

> verse 7. The phrase EWS EK MESOU GENHTAI is supposed to mean
> "until he is taken out of the way." I assume this is an idiom. To
> me it seems like "until he appears out of the midst." Is there good
> evidence that it is an idiom and that the traditional translation is
> correct?
> There is some evidence that it is idiomatic meaning "be removed,"
"leave." See BAGD s.v. GINOMAI I:4:c:beta; but cf. also the expression
GINOMAI EK at Job 28:2; Mk 1:11; Lk. 3:22; 9:35. Taking all these into
consideration, it appears to most probably mean "be taken out of the
way," "be removed."

David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education                     Southeastern Spanish District            of the Assemblies of God