Re: Mark 14:3

David L. Moore (
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:43:22 -0400

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> At 4:04 PM -0500 9/9/96, wrote:
> >Quick question: What sort of genitive is kephalhs in Mark 14:3?
> One might argue that it's a particular kind of partitive that I once
> learned to call "genitive of the target"--or a genitive of the sphere
> within which; but it's probably simpler to think of it as genitive with the
> verb KATAXEW; in general verbs with prefix KATA- tend to be construed with
> a genitive.

Does anyone know of an instance in which there is a genitive used in
this sense but without EPI or KATA as it is here in Mk 14:3? I looked through
the references to "on" in Strong's Concordance for the Gospels and Acts and
could find no instances of such a construction. Strong's may be deceptive,
however, since it lists "on" in Mk. 14:3 as corresponding to KATA, which
indicates the concordance is based on a non-critical Greek text.

David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education                     Southeastern Spanish District            of the Assemblies of God