Re: PAS - Every [other]?

Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:37:05 -0500

At 7:31 PM -0500 9/25/96, Wes.Williams@twcable.com wrote:
>I was hoping that someone on the list could direct me to one or more
>grammatical references that show that PAS/PANTA can mean 'All - with the
>exception of the item we just talked about in the context...'. Here are
>some examples from NASB where the translation committee translated
>PAS/PANTA/etc as "all other." I agree with the translations, I just cannot
>find many grammars that talk about the insertion of 'other.' Or perhaps
>someone could elucidate the principles where a translator would insert
>"other" besides subjectivity.
>
>Thanks,
>Wes
>______________________________
>
>Note: [PAS/OTHER are in caps]
>
>UBS4 Matthew 13:32 ho mikroteron men estin PANTWN twn spermatwn
>NASB Matthew 13:32 and this is smaller than all OTHER seeds,
>
>UBS4 Luke 13:2 Dokeite hoti hoi Galilaioi houtoi hamartwloi para PANTAS
>tous Galilaious egenonto hoti tauta peponqasin;
>NASB Luke 13:2 "Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners
>than all OTHER Galileans because they suffered this fate?
>
>UBS4 1 Corinthians 6:18 feugete thn porneian. PAN hamarthma ho ean
>poihsh anqrwpos ektos tou swmatos estin ho de porneuwn eis to idion swma
>hamartanei.
>NASB 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee immorality. Every OTHER sin that a man
>commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own
>body.

I may be wrong here, but I really think that each of the instances here
cited should probably be deemed a Semitism, where the particular form of
PAS, whether singular or plural, represents more the idea "any" than
"every" or "all." My Hebrew is pretty weak, but my sense is that these
instances of PAS all correspond to the usage of Hebrew KOL. In each
instance also, I think we'd have to say that "other" is implicit rather
than intrinsic to the sense of the Greek word PAS. Isn't this a Semitism?

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018