Re: Acts 5:31 ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA

Fri, 3 Jan 1997 13:19:40 -0600

At 12:58 PM -0600 1/3/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>How should I understand the accusative for ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA in this phras=
e:

> TOUTON hO QEOS ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA hUYWSEN THi DEXIAi AUTOU
>
>I'm having problems parsing this...

Isn't this simply the direct object of hUYWSEN? I suppose that you'd
probably have to understand hHMWN with ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA. I'd have to say,
however, that this looks like more home-made Greek, a patchwork made of a
phrase from Hebrews and a phrase from Paul and a verb from John's gospel.
The dative in THi DEXIAi AUTOU strikes me as sort of fishy. PLEASE don't
tell me that it comes straight out of the NT! (I do think you would have
cited author-chapter-and-verse).

=46or what it's worth, this comment is neither gold, dross, nor fluff. It's
closer to froth, which may be akin to a mome rath. Silence, perhaps, were
preferable.

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018