Re: MONOGENHS

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Fri, 3 Jan 97 14:49:22 EST

Interesting observation, Carlton!

I did study the occurrences of this word in the NT at one time and
decided that a fair English equivalent is "only child" -- used either
as an adjective or noun. See especially references such as Luke 7:12
and 8:42 (already cited by Luke McNab). I think this fits in with
Carlton's observation -- with the relegating of Ishmael to second-class
status, Isaac gains the legal status of an "only child".

Whether one interprets this as "only begotten son" or "one and only
son" then becomes secondary -- Jesus is then, according to John, in
some sense an "only child", but that status doesn't have to be
by physical (or spiritual/physical) begetting, nor does it have
to exclude the rest of us from a secondary sonship by adoption.

(Am I arguing against a begetting? No, but I don't think that
MONOGENHS necessarily implies it.)

Regards,
j.v.