Re: Two accents in one word??

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 21:07:35 -0500

At 06:35 PM 1/6/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 6:21 PM -0600 1/6/97, Lou Schwing wrote:
>>At 5:33 AM 1/6/97, Carlton Winbery wrote:
>>
>>>Jim Beale wrote;

>>>Jim, the rule of accent is that if a word with an acute on the antepenult
>>>(third from last syllable) or a circumflex on the penult (second from
>>>last), it receives a second accent (acute) on the ultima (last syllable).
>>
>>But why isn't this usage universal? For example, Mark 1:8?
>
>As I noted in my addendum to Carlton's note that I sent off at the same
>time that I was receiving this, I said the rule applied because there was
>an enclitic (MOU) following PNEUMATI in Rom 1:9. There is no enclitic
>following PNEUMATI in Mk 1:8 but rather a regular adjective (hAGIWi) with
>its own accent.

Carl's posts on this subject were also the next message waiting on
the server when I had sent my recent comment on this new thread.

If I might speak about proclitics at the mention of enclitics, there
is a passage that may illustrate how these words were sounded as if they
were one. Many commentators have suggested that the letter to the Ephesians
was originally a letter sent to several different churches in and around
Ephesus. They usually draw this conclusion from the absence of the words EN
EFESWi in several of the earliest and most reliable Manuscripts. (Cf.
Origen's suggestion that Paul was writing to the saints that *are*.)

If Ephesians was a letter meant to be taken around and read to each
of several different congregations with the reader supplying the name of the
city, the logical way for a Greek speaker to do that would not be to just
leave out the city name. Rather, he would leave out the entire word as he
would pronounce it: ENEFESWi, uniting the proclitic EN with the following
word. Since just such a supplied phrase seems to be required, it appears to
lend credence to the theory of Ephesians' being a letter written with
multiple recipients in mind.

Regards to all,

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God