Re: 1 Cor 12-14

Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:08:20 -0800 (PST)

If the ZHLOUTE of 14:1 is imperatival and if it resumes the ZHLOUTE of
12:31, with 13:1-13 being the development of the argument, then it would
seem the ZHLOUTE in 12:31 would also be imperatival.

This would make excellent sense as 12:31 would then be understood in light
of 13:1-13. 14:1, then, would be synthetically parallel to 12:31 and
would be the key to properly understanding that verse. This understanding
would then negate the force of your argument, that is, that understanding
12:31 imperativally would seem to go against what Paul had just said.
This argument fails because it still has to deal with the imperative of

Paul S. Dixon, pastor
Ladd Hill Bible Church
Wilsonville, Oregon