Re: b-greek font & transliteration standards?

David L. Moore (
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:59:45 -0500

At 03:34 PM 1/13/97 -0700, Mike Adams wrote:
>I think Paul's on to something here!
>If he's using a freebie font, couldn't we all just download it and use in
>addition to (but not instead of) the customary transliteration scheme.
>About once a month newbies ask about our transliteration scheme, and some
>gracious soul always ends up posting the necessary facts. The information
>on the fonts could be an addendum to that standard post.
>And for the web-wise, it could, of course appear in the archives ever so
>properly linked for easy downloading.
>It sure would be neat....easier on the eyes.
>Think how lovely it would be, just like having the secret decoder ring that
>once came came free in the specially marked box of Cheerios!

Wouldn't it be neat if someone came up with a Greek font that would
read our transliteration scheme. Then we could use a format something like
the following: <font face="b-greek">*GRA/FWN OU(/TWS, A)NAGINW/SKEIN
DU/NANTAI PA/NTES</font>. The accents and diacriticals, of course would be
optional, as they are now, in posts to the list. The HTML markers would
also be optional. If someone had a viewer with HTML capabilities, he could
add the markers to the transliterated, unmarked Greek text, if he wished,
and see the passage in the b-greek font. But those that had HTML
capabilities in their e-mail readers would see any marked text in the
correct font right off the bat.

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education Southeastern Spanish District of the Assemblies of God