Re: Greek fonts and email

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:48:47 -0500

James H. Vellenga <jhv0@viewlogic.com> wrote:

> I have only been vaguely following this thread, but I do
> want to put a plug in for keeping a transliteration scheme
> in the e-mails -- I have only ASCII for my e-mail, and don't
> have a PC of my own that I can install personal software
> (such as Greek fonts) on.

I agree.

Personally, I think it would be best to use accents and smooth breathing
only as much as necessary for the point that is being discussed. I like the
rough breathing marks, which makes it a little more readable for me.

IMHO, transliteration should continue to be acceptable as long as people
want to do it, and ASCII readability needs to be a big concern for any font
encoding we use here.

Note: As webmaster, I can offer possibilities that could work with our web
software, and demonstrate how various approaches might look. I do *not*
think that I have any authority to make policy here. I'm currently looking
at some fonts that have been sent to me, and I'll report back some time
(next week?).

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728