Re: Translation needed-Revelation 5.9

Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:33:11 +0000

At 15:00 24/01/97 -0600,
JAMES & WENDY ARMSTRONG <jamesa@flash.net> wrote:

>The Translations differ on whether it is ""men"" or ""us"". I could not
>find either Greek word in UBS
>
>Rev 5:9 And they sang^ a new song, saying, "Worthy art Thou to take the
>book, and to break its seals; for Thou wast slain, and didst purchase for
>God with Thy blood """men""" from every tribe and tongue and people and
>nation.

"men" is not there -- as the NRSV recognises, by it's own bit of
substittion from the end of v.8

"for you were slaughtered and by your blood you ransomed for God saints from
every tribe and language and people and nation;"

So who do you think is doing the singing?
The saints or " the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders"
It certainly isn't "men".

Regards

Maurice