Re: Eph 2:15 - EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON POIWN *EIRHNHN*

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:05:32 -0500

At 10:37 AM 1/29/97 -0500, Paul Zellmer wrote:

>I assume that you are trying to connect the POIWN with the prepositional
>(EIS) phrase. Try letting the EIS phrase be the result of KTISHi and
>picture a minor break, a comma, if you will, before a parallel clause,
>POIWN EIRHNHN. Does this make more sense now?

Boing! Yes, it makes perfect sense now.

>I guess Paul could have written: hINA POIWN EIRHNHN TOUS DUO KTISHi EN
>AUTWi EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON. This probably would have meant the
>same, at least on the surface. My guess is the relative importance of
>the parts would have changed, but that's another can of worms.

I *like* this can of worms. What is the difference in emphasis between the
two formulations:

1. hINA POIWN EIRHNHN TOUS DUO KTISHi EN AUTWi EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON
2. hINA TOUS DUW KTISHi EN AUTWi EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON POIWN EIRHNHN

Any takers?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728