Re: hWMIOWQH: Says who?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 05:12:15 -0400

Ellen Adams <adtech@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:54:44 -0600
Subject: hOMIOWQH: Says who?

>A friend of mine is doing his thesis on parables.
>He noticed the instances in Matthew where the word hWMIOWQH is in the
>aorist passive. Literally, wouldn't that mean "was compared to" (aorist
>passive indicative)?

BAGD says that the active meaning of hOMOIOW is "make like TINA TINI", and
the passive meaning is "become like, be like".

I think some translations say "the kingdom of heaven is like", which isn't
too bad. The other interesting thing about this, though, is the use of the
aorist here. This example makes interesting data...does anybody know of a
good discussion of the meaning of the aorist in hWMIOWQH?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com