Zerwick, reply

Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:26:38 -0500 (EST)

From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 21-APR-1997 12:25:45.11
To: IN%"jwrobie@mindspring.com"
CC: EHOBBS
Subj: RE: Romans 6:5 ALLA KAI THS ANASTASEWS ESOMEQA

Nothing on this topic appears in my copy of the Latin original--but
I own the first edition (1949). The English translation (which I also own)
is based on the fourth edition. It also has nothing about "logical rather
than temporal". But the reference is to the fifth (Zerwick's last) edition
of _Graecitas Biblica_, which I do not own and cannot get without driving
in to Cambridge. I suppose I could phone Dan Harrington and ask him to
look, but I hesitate to bother him with something this minor. I think both
he and Stanley Marrow (both Jesuits) studied at the Biblicum with Zerwick
before he died in 1975.

HOWEVER: The Latin original of his _Analysis_ has no such comment or
reference at all. This is obviously one of the (many) "revisions" or
"adaptations" made by the translator, Mary Grosvenor. (In no way do I
fault her for these, as I DO with Gingrich and Danker's alterations of
Bauer; she has made the volume far more valuable to non-Latin readers of
the GNT.)

Edward Hobbs

------------------------------ [Jonathan's message follows]

Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Jonathan Robie raised the question about Zerwick's writing in Latin. In
>answer to his question as to whether anyone has his work in Latin, the answer
>is, Yes, I do--his grammar (_Graecitas Biblica_) and his _Analysis Philologica
>Novi Testamenti Graeci_.

Edward: Since you have a copy of the Latin edition, could you please tell me
what section 284a of Graecitas Biblica says? The English edition doesn't
seem to contain this comment, since I am specifically referred to the Latin
edition.